Library patrons and online games

Shelden DeVained templar_7 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:44:07 EDT 1998

At Suffolk County Community College, while it is not encouraged, we do
let the student relax online.  Some chat, others are into MUDs.  We dont
let them load games onto the c drive or down load from the net.  The
same holds for West Islpi P.L.  We provide the patron with an hours
useage, be it chat, emailing, research, or resume typing.

>From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu Sun Jul 26 12:13:35 1998
>Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:10:26 -0700
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: <Scrynkar at aol.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Library patrons and online games
>
>    As a new member I am not sure if this question has been discussed
before
>but this problem has just came up in our library.  We have been
instructed  to
>inform patrons who chose to use the computer for online games that this
is not
>what the internet service is for and that the internet computers are to
be
>used for research. (The library has in place a time limit on the
computer
>use).  I would be interested in learning how other libraries have dwelt
with
>this issue and what policies, if any, have been set regarding games
played on
>the internet
>
>                                                               Susan
Rynkar