Web4Lib Subject Line Change

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jul 31 20:10:50 EDT 1998

> I have received a number of responses to the change in Web4Lib that now
> precedes the message subject with "[WEB4LIB:xxxxx]", where "xxxxx" is the
> sequential number of that message. In typical style, some of the email
> I've received has expressed appreciation with the change, while some has
> expressed dismay.

For those using 'procmail' to filter your e-mail, I've created a recipe that
will remove the subject line tokens from the messages as they are received.
It requires 'formail' (which comes with procmail) and 'perl'.  (The Perl
part could probably be replaced with a 'sed' command, but Perl, in addition
to destroying many of my C programming skills, has obliterated my 'sed'
skills.  If someone can supply the 'sed' magic, let me know; it would likely
be more efficient than the Perl snippet.)

:0
* ^To:.*web4lib at webjunction.org
{
  NEWSUBJ = `formail -xSubject | perl -p -e 's/\[WEB4LIB:\d+\]\s+//;'`

  :0 f
  |formail -I"Subject: ${NEWSUBJ}"

 ## Set 'mail/web4lib.mbox' below to the location where you want your
 ## Web4Lib mail saved (relative to your home directory).  Or just remove
 ## the next two lines if you want your Web4Lib to appear in your INBOX.
  :0:
  mail/web4lib.mbox
}

Peter
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888