TCP/IP NETWORK ADMINISTRATION

John M. Morris jmorris at dtx.net
Wed Jul 8 14:43:15 EDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jennifer Sarber wrote:

> I would like to hear from anyone who has read or purchased the book:
> TCP/IP NETWORK ADMINISTRATION written by Craig Hunt.
> Is this book written mainly for UNIX platforms?

I have that book and yes it is not just UNIX biased, it never even
mentions the possibility that IP might be running on anything else.  Of
course since it has "Help for UNIX System Administrators" in big type on
the cover I knew that when I bought it.  And being something of a UNIX
bigot myself....... :)

> Is there any book that is written for TCP/IP running on various
> operating system?

The above Nutshell book will teach you all you need to know about TCP/IP
(the gritty stuff about IP address, netmasks, routing, DNS, MX records,
mail delivery and all that stuff that doesn't matter which platform you
are on) and how to get your servers setup, then it is just figuring out
where the dialog boxes are to stuff the numbers into the end user boxes
running Windows or MacOS. There is also a book from M$ Press devoted to
Microsoft TCP/IP.  Guess it's the old 'embrace and extend' strategy again.
:)

In general I'd recommend anything from O'Reilly if they have a book on a
subject you are interested in.  Unlike most other publishers they have
this wonderful idea that the smallest pagecount that can still explain a
subject is the best one instead of competing to see who can publish the
thickest book.  I can actually read their books cover to cover instead of
skimming through looking for highlights.  (Although the Sendmail book is a
notable exception... but I did read it and can't really see where it could
have been cut much.  :( Sendmail is just that complicated.)

John M.      http://www.dtx.net/~jmorris         This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P+++ L+++ W+ N++ w-- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r%