your mail

John M. Morris jmorris at dtx.net
Wed Jul 8 13:05:54 EDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Shirl Kennedy wrote:

> ESSENTIAL AND DESIRABLE FEATURES OF A WEB SERVER
> This article is an excerpt from chapter two of the book Running a Perfect
> Intranet, published by Que Corporation and MacMillan Computer Publishing.

No wonder M$ is hawking it, even in the short excerpt I found outdated
information.  The article claims Apache doesn't work as a proxy when it
has been able to do so for at least a year.  Of course if someone wants a
proxy it is usually better to install a dedicated squid since it is
better suited to the job and can also proxy ftp requests.

That said, at least from the excerpt it looks like an ok book for an intro
to the subject. However any book still using NCSA's tired old server as a
baseline for discussion likely isn't very relevant in today's world where
there are only three servers left: Apache at +50%, M$ IIS at about 25% and
Netscape and the small fry fighting over the ever shrinking remainder.  I
do wonder why Netware was being mentioned as a platform for web hosting.
I know people are half-heartedly pitching a couple of webservers to run on
Netware, but is ANYONE using one?  Even in an Intranet?

John M.      http://www.dtx.net/~jmorris         This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P+++ L+++ W+ N++ w-- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r%