positioning graphics in style sheets

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Jul 2 17:06:06 EDT 1998

Well, I decided to play with style sheets, ran through a few tutorials,
read some standards, etc., and liked what I saw.  By and large, despite all
the great warnings about how most of us bumpkins are going to be left
behind as HTML becomes sooooo sophisticated, in some ways it seems style
sheets facilitate easier markup, encourage cleaner, more holistic style
design, could lead to good editors, and can make life cheaper, cleaner
better... except for graphics.

Perhaps I am "thinking inside the box," to turn around one of those tedious
management metaphors, or maybe I'm just slow-witted, but one thing I want
to do seems harder, not easier, with style sheets.  I wanted to flow text
down a page and wrap it around images placed left and right--something HTML
3.2 easily facilitates.  What I *don't* want to do is manually position
graphics using elaborate coordinates which I have to calculate myself. The
more I study images and style sheets, the more complicated to implement
they seem to be.

Have I missed the entire memo on this?  I am not looking to create an
elaborate stylistic triumph.  I'm a writer trying to tell a little story
about something I saw (in this case, interiors of libraries).  I am tempted
to go back to 3.2 and just do the darn webpages, and not worry about style
sheets, but I was hoping to Learn Something in this exercise, or even be a
bedraggled, somewhat late implementor. Perhaps I should heed the many style
sheet guides and tutorials that do not, themselves, use style sheets...
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield