Telnet to circ module?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jul 14 21:03:10 EDT 1998

O.k., I know this question needs to go to ATLAS-L... it will go there
too... but it's  a question with a web4lib nuance, other protocols than
http being web-accessible as well.  I'm wondering what folks have to say
about connecting to a circulation module over the Internet, via telnet,
versus a dedicated line to the OPAC.  We began discussing this in these
parts as an alternative due to the far-flung distance of some member
libraries in the consortium (ours, in particular, but we aren't alone in
wondering about this) combined with the opportunities for lower-cost
Internet access in the immediate area.  The concerns raised were
specifically about security of the circulation data.  The concern was
expressed that if we are connecting to the circ module via telnet, people
could, if they wanted to, spy on the data passing to and fro.  Needless to
say, we wouldn't want that.  I am not expert enough in the telnet protocol
to confirm or debunk that concern, or propose methods for addressing the
concern.  If you're wondering, it's a DRA system, and we are just beginning
to link to records in the mother database... so we have a good six months
to ponder this issue.  People have also raised the question of whether the
Internet connection would be as stable as a dedicated line, or at least
stable enough not to preclude this approach... I have felt (though I could
be wrong) that was a separate question that only experience with the area
providers (and perhaps experience overall) could answer.
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield