Comments from a 15 year old

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Jul 14 14:32:33 EDT 1998

old...

- One person asked if it is not illegal for minors to view porn.  Well,
first off, nowhere does the quote mention porn, just "controversial sites."
And, as far as I understand the law, it's illegal to purchase it (and maybe
possess) but not illegal to "view" it. If it was illegal a minor to "view"
porn, who would you arrest?

- Another writes "the majority of children (and I would include 15 fifteen
year olds in this) have neither the maturity nor the intellectual tools to
take complete responsibility for their education. This is why we have
teachers and schools and prescribed curriculums.  " Here I think we are not
giving many children raised in the last twenty years as much credit as they
disserve.  Just remember when this happened to you as a child.  Did you
appreciate that sort of generalization of yourself and your peers.  Also, I
never said, nor did the girl quoted, that adult supervision shouldn't be
part of an education.  However, should a teacher refuse to answer a child's
question because the teacher believes they are "not ready" for the answer?
They were ready enough to ask the question, were they not?

           Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
       Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
            Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                www.bcr.org/~msauers
           The WWW Library Directory is @
           www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
  "Never underestimate the Internet. Manipulate it.
     Respect it. But don't try to dominate it."
            -Jerry Yang (Yahoo! Founder)
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.