webwomen - Women Web Professionals Discussion List

Aja M Razumny aja_razumny at educ.state.ak.us
Wed Jul 1 15:01:01 EDT 1998

One last comment on this topic since Prof. Byron C. Mayes' comments' are
still valid.
<snip>
>Well, there *is* still a need for supportive environments for women,
>people of color, and sexual minorities in our various professions,
>particularly those dealing with technology or finance which are largely
>straight white male dominated and have a bit of "old boy network" in the
>culture.
<snip>

 There is a great site for mentoring and networking that is exactly what
Mayes suggested:  Women In Technology International <http://www.witi.com/>.

>"Women represent a high
>   percentage of the science and
>   technology workforce but only 2% of
>   the executives. And yet more women
>   than ever before are interested in
>   technology careers - for example, the
>   number of undergraduate EE degrees
>   earned by women has leaped nearly
>   10-fold over the past two decades.
>
>   Technology will continue to attract
>   the best women only if it gives
>   them the opportunity to achieve
>   their highest potential. WITI was
>   founded to attract, develop, and
>   retain women in science and
>   technology."

Aja Markel Razumny			**Note email address change**
Library Development
Alaska State Library
P.O. Box 110571
Juneau, AK 99811-0571