Magnets Near PCs

Elizabeth Fielding libbyfi at tpgi.com.au
Thu Jul 23 21:32:54 EDT 1998

Hello List Members

A distress call from Queensland, Australia.

We are switching from dumb terminals to PCs at our circ desk and now
find that the deactivator magnets under the desk (which are part of our
security system) are going to be too close to checkout stations. This
looks like being a logistic problem for us and am wondering if anyone
else has found a workable solution.

In particular I'd be grateful if someone could tell me:

1. What is the minimum safe distance between a magnet and the hard
drive? (I have heard 3 feet.)

2. What is a safe distance from the monitor?

3. Have you any advice, answers or experiences?

The security product in question is a RAECO Alarm 2100. Our circ desk is
an optimum height for staff so an ergonomic arm is not an appropriate
solution.

Thanks in advance.

Libby Fielding
Cooloola Shire Library Service