Web-site Development Tools

John R. Little john.little at duke.edu
Wed Jul 22 11:11:26 EDT 1998

While it's true that WYSIWYGs tend to put more garbage-HTML
into the code, and it's true that one can take greater, or
qicker rather, advantage of HTML advances with manual tag
editors, it seems to me that the real issue is what works
best in your environment and how portable is the document
(to other browsers or even other markup standards). This
can only get even more difficult/fun/interesting as DHTML,
CSS, and XML become more widely accepted.

Both points, manual tagging vs. WYSIWYG, have merit and
both fall short of being universally satisfying solutions.
I think the trade off in WYSYWIG vs. tagging is that the
more manual tagging you do the more time you must spend
learning the markup language and composing your documents.
One of the hardest aspects of web page development (*I
think*) is, and will continue to be, the ability to write
portable HTML that degrades gracefully to lower version
browsers.  This is true, I think, whether one tags
manually, validates, or WYSIWYGs.  In short to do it well
takes conscious effort and time.

So I just want to underscore Thomas Dowling's point that
"the markup languages we rely on are becoming increasingly
complex".  With that complexity should come improved
document identification standards -- which should improve
indexing and retrieval -- and it should increase the amount
of time it takes to create universally browsable documents.
I wonder if we will be bound by a more practical rule: that
we have to evaluate what level of markup will be employed
against a time/convenience/use factor (on a document by
document basis).  Not every document put on the web is
worthy of extensive tagging (my opinion, no doubt).
Moreover, the evaluation and more precisely the complex
markup implementation is easier said than done.

Cheers.

--John
  John R. Little       Web Developer/Systems Librarian
  Perkins Library * Duke University * Durham, NC
  VOICE: (919) 660-5932    Email: john.little at duke.edu
              http://www.duke.edu/~jrl/