Web-site Development Tools

Wright, Sue Sue.Wright at state.me.us
Wed Jul 22 09:28:42 EDT 1998

 ----------
From: Wright, Sue
To: (Slak)
Subject: RE: Web-site Development Tools
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 9:18AM

Luisa,
I use MacOS at home and Win95 at work. I tend to favor tools (and software
in general) that are available for both platforms. This allows me to focus
on the software and my work, without being overly aware of differences in
the operating environment. There are lots of programs out there that are
cross-platform.

I design with Claris Home Page and Netscape Composer (part of Navigator
4.0). Home Page handles tables a bit better than Composer, but Composer is
still pretty darn impressive for a free program. If I want to accomplish
something those programs do not accomodate, then I consult a big fat HTML
book and look for the appropriate coding to enter manually. I know people's
brains work differently, but I find entering code gets in the way of design
 - you're so happy to see the garbage-like code actually turn into something
in the browser that you don't always look at it from a design standpoint.

For the design-challenged I highly recommend "The Non-designers Design Book"
and "The Non-designers Web Book" by Robin Williams.  She has a real talent
for condensing design principles into very readable books.

Other tools that I like to use are PhotoshopLE and Freehand (for graphics
and typography) and PageMaker and Freehand for exporting in PDF. I also use
Claris FileMaker Pro 4.0 for instantly converting large spreadsheets of
historical data into HTML tables to add to our website.

Good luck in your course next fall.

Sue Wright
Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library
http://www.state.me.us/legis/lawlib/homepage.htm
sue.wright at state.me.us