RUNNING A MAIL SERVER

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Jul 17 17:26:38 EDT 1998

I am also running an NT but on an Alpha.  The Email program, PostOffice,  I am
using is also available for Intel NT 4.0 and can be downloaded from
http://www.software.com
They have newer versions one called InterMail but I know the PostOffice
program is free to use for up to about 5 or 10 users and 1 or 2 lists.  It
uses a WEB Interface and I felt it was very user friendly for setup and
maintaining.  I think its only available in POP3.  It looks like I might be in
trouble that they may have stopped supporting the Alpha NT.

Thomas

Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We recently learned that our ISP, which had previously provided our e-mail
> services for no charge will now be charging us $85 per account.  Since we
> have over 30 accounts, this is a substantial charge for us.  Since I've
> already been planning on migrating our web pages to our own server, I was
> thinking that I should probably explore doing the same with our mail
> services.  I've just been doing a little bit of research and the software
> available runs in the $600 -- $1500 range so we would save money by doing
> it ourselves but how difficult is this to do?
>
> For those running your own mail services, how difficult is it to do?  What
> products would you recommend.  Is this more trouble than it is worth?
> We run NT Server 4.0 on a Compaq Proliant 1500 with 128 MB RAM so NT
> product recommendations please!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Mutch
> Northville District Library
> Northville, MI

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received