RUNNING A MAIL SERVER

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Jul 17 12:39:09 EDT 1998

Hi all,

We recently learned that our ISP, which had previously provided our e-mail
services for no charge will now be charging us $85 per account.  Since we
have over 30 accounts, this is a substantial charge for us.  Since I've
already been planning on migrating our web pages to our own server, I was
thinking that I should probably explore doing the same with our mail
services.  I've just been doing a little bit of research and the software
available runs in the $600 -- $1500 range so we would save money by doing
it ourselves but how difficult is this to do?

For those running your own mail services, how difficult is it to do?  What
products would you recommend.  Is this more trouble than it is worth?
We run NT Server 4.0 on a Compaq Proliant 1500 with 128 MB RAM so NT
product recommendations please!

Thanks,

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library