disable wall paper settings

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri Jul 17 10:06:03 EDT 1998

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, fonmee wrote:

> Does anyone know how to disable the right click functions in Netscape.
> We are trying to stop patrons to save image as wallpaper, and also save
> images into the PC.

You can set the "netscape wallpaper.bmp" file to READ-ONLY, which will
prevent users from saving a new one. HOWEVER, in my testing, trying to
save a new image crashed Netscape!  Of course, you could look at this as
incentive to the patron/user NOT to do that.  I mean, after the 4th or 5th
time a user crashed the computer trying to do that, I would hope they
would ask someone, or get the hint, and not do it.

As for prevention of saving images to the PC, most security programs can
prevent saving to the local hard drive, can't they?  We are using Fortres
(though I think it is an old copy) and it has two settings related to
this:  "Prevent saving to local hard drive", and in conjunction with that,
"only allow saving into this directory" (You specify the directory name)

We have experienced trouble with only one program related to this setting.
I have not yet had time to figure out a way around it except to disable
that setting on the one particular machine.

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466