Internet Policies in Libraries

Slak slak at infohouse.com
Mon Jul 13 19:24:31 EDT 1998

I have a anecdote I would like to relate to this listserv.  I am a library
student who volunteered at a what will remain nameless public library as an
Internet PC volunteer. My duties included overseeing the sign-up sheet for
the internet pc's and generally helping patrons navigate on the WWW and
give help with any basic wordprocessing/spread sheet questions they may
have.

I lot of young teenagers would come in after school and use the terminals.
One afternoon I reported for duty and the librarian on duty informed me
that there was to be no printing of rap lyrics, a popular thing for some of
the youngsters to print out. (Many of them had abused the 10 page per
patron limit, however).

I had very mixed feelings about enforcing this.  First of all he had stated
"rap lyrics," not "rock, or folk or soul or blues lyrics," and this struck
me as distinctly racist.  Was he penalizing the young black teenagers for
their preferences?  Other teenagers were abusing their printing privileges
with printouts from teen idol websites just as much.

Anyway this created a very uncomfortable situation for me.  I think that no
policy was in place, and this had led to unadvisable, adhoc, policy.
Printing limits were proving hard to enforce.  Differences between patrons
using the Internet for "good" research purposes as opposed to "bad"
recreational purposes were proving hard to distinguish.

In my opinion, lyrics (of any kind) and teenage use of the Internet, with
its ensuing mastery of search engines and a need to critically evaluate
websites are greatly beneficial the education of young patrons and any way
that engages young people in reading and writing activities (chat rooms
were also very popular) seemed a way to promote literacy.

Has anyone had similar experiences?  Or does this simply make a comment on
the attitudes of those in charge of the library and remain an issue that is
outside of productive discussion?

Aigars Kildiss
Luisa Sabin-Kildiss
110 Suffolk Street