One Librarian's Story By Heidi Borton

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jul 13 11:36:55 EDT 1998

     It should come as no surprise that I don't see Porn on the
     Internet(tm) to be much of a problem. These culture wars, such as the
     current hysteria over porn in libraries, only serves to distract us
     from more important trends affecting our profession.

     Some trends worth getting mad about:
     1) The increasing consolidation of the publishing industry and the
     radio industry. Both of these problems have severe impacts on the type
     of information available to the public. How many of the book titles
     being acquired by your library are published by Bertlesmann AG and its
     subsidiaries?
     2) The chronic underfunding of libraries. This ties in with the
     ongoing attempts by corporate elites to privatize the public sphere.
     The porn in libraries hysteria is a symptom of this disease. The
     ruling elites are using this wedge to see if they can continue using
     the specter of "tax moneys" being wasted on "harmful" things. You see
     evidence of this in calls for libraries "to stop wasting tax payer
     dollars on filth and pornography." We all know how public libraries
     have large erotica collections. ;-)

     Submitted for your approval.

     Chuck0