(bkwd) ANTIPORNOGRAPHERS USING LIBRARIES TO ATTACK THE FIRST AMMENDMENT?

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Mon Jul 13 07:38:15 EDT 1998

Every story having two or more sides....

<grin>

ANTIPORNOGRAPHERS USING LIBRARIES TO ATTACK THE FIRST AMMENDMENT?

FOR IMMEDIATE RECONSIDERATION
Mon, July 13, 1998

Contact:  Everyone
E-mail:  thisisaparody at laughter.peacebewithyou.calm

US - Can filtered access at your local public library really, really
pose a threat to your intellectual freedom and constitutional
rights?  Some antipornographers hope so, according to continued
outbursts from all over, claiming material made available to
library patrons is much worse than what the people could already
see in their bookstores, theaters and on their televisions at home.

The anti-anti-pornography group Oh Not This Again has been alerting
communities of this.  A lighthearted ONTA piece titled "Never Stare
a Trojan Horse in the Rear" made the following observation:

"Amazingly enough, libraries have become the butt end of an
issue _not_ invented with the Internet, but with the first book ever
created.  You could probably find a public library in the country
without a copy of Ulysses, but how many wouldn't have the
Odyssey?  Hmmm, we say!   Sadly, some libraries are providing
filtered access that limits information through a flawed technology
historically proven to block completely okay sites, and we at Oh
Not This Again officially say, 'Oh not this again!'  We'd also like to
say, 'Hey, Remember Troy'--and we don't mean that football
player or country music singer either."

"That Troy guy was something, but, I never cared much for
football," said an anonymous source.  When asked if the Trojan
Horse is eroding community standards, this person smiled and
said, "Look, I read Homer too, and it wasn't just the horse."

Another source offered some additional words:  "The only place
I'd use a filter's in a coffee maker, because if you don't you get
all that grainy stuff in your cup, and that doesn't taste too good."

</grin>

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS....

-