ACCESS '98 Conference Update

Peter Scott scottp at moondog.usask.ca
Fri Jul 10 15:45:24 EDT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:43:00 +0600 (GMT)
From: David Fox <david.fox at usask.ca>

ACCESS '98 Conference Update

I'm pleased to report that with 12 weeks to go the Access '98 Conference
is already 30% of the way towards its registration target of 200. The 60
registered delegates so far represent 8 Canadian provinces and 6 U.S.
states! With the Canadian dollar currently trading at under 68 cents U.S.
Access '98 has GOT to be tremendous bargain for American visitors. We are
almost paying YOU to attend this conference!!

Access '98 is being held in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada from October
2nd to 4th 1998. Full details may be found at the conference website:

http://library.usask.ca/access98/

Access '98 Conference will offer three days of intensive exposure to the
latest developments in information technology for libraries, featuring top
North American speakers, including Roy Tennant, Clifford Lynch, Terry
Noreault, Lou Rosenfeld, Greg Notess, Rich Wiggins, Thomas Dowling and
many more! The program will include presentations on Internet Coding
Standards, Java applications, Web Browsers, Search Engines, Electronic
Publishing and Digital Libraries, Z39.50, etc. It will also address some
of the social and philosophical issues related to the application of
information technology.

Who should attend:
- library systems managers and systems librarians
- electronic services/resources librarians
- digital and data services librarians
- library webmasters
- library programmer/analysts and software developers
- library administrators and department heads
- library consultants
- suppliers of commercial electronic publications and library automation
  services
- anyone working with or managing information technology services in
  libraries

The Planning Committee has had a lot of positive feedback on the quality
of the Access '98 program. (One registrant commented that it looks like
almost too much to absorb in three days!) Yes, we have attracted some very
high calibre speakers for Access '98. Yes, it will be an intensive three
days of presentations and discussion. Our objective is that Access '98
will be a rewarding learning experience for everyone who attends.

For the first time at an Access conference we are offering secure online
credit card registration. So far about one third of registrants have taken
advantage of this convenience. Delegates may also register by mail or by
FAX. The Registration form is accessible from the Access '98 Website at
http://library.usask.ca/access98/

If you have already registered for Access '98 we look forward to seeing
you in Saskatoon in October. If not, don't miss this outstanding
educational opportunity. Register for Access '98 today!

David Fox                                 phone: (306)966-6031
Chair, Access '98 Planning Committee      fax:   (306)966-6040
University of Saskatchewan Libraries      email: fox at sklib.usask.ca
Room 163 Main Library/Murray Building
3 CAMPUS DRIVE
SASKATOON, SK S7N 5A4