Netscape URL History drop down box

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Thu Jul 9 06:25:58 EDT 1998

This question came up a couple of times here, and while
I believed I answered it before as suggesting to edit
the prefs.js file, remove the URLs, and write-protecting it,
I see another opportunity here:  put URLs in here you
wouldn't mind patrons seeing, almost like a subtle
"recommended links."

If you're using NN 4.x, here's how to do this:  First, exit
out of your browser and get to a DOS prompt.  Find the
prefs.js file in your USERS directory, edit it in either
Notepad or Edit (DOS), then change all the lines that
appear in the "url_history" section of the file to reflect
desired URLS:

user_pref("browser.url_history.URL_1", "http://www.encyclopedia.com");

Next, get out to a DOS prompt and change the file to
READ ONLY with the attrib command:

	ATTRIB +R prefs.js

Exit DOS, reload NN, and the list of desired URLS should
appear in the drop down list box.

This technique seems a little more useful to me now
than the total URL deletion, and it can also be adapted
to customize the Personal Toolbar (which is located, in
NN 4.x, in the bookmark.htm file).

If you wish to edit prefs.js in the future you need to
remove the read only attribute with

	ATTRIB  -R prefs.js

--but remember to set it back to READ ONLY after
editing.

Here's another interesting tip for NN and Explorer
users:

In NN 4.x and I believe most versions of MSIEXP,
pressing CTRL+O brings up the Location box.  URLs
entered here do not get placed in the URL history
box.  (In lower versions of NN it's CTRL+L.)

Robert J. Tiess
Webmaster

-