blocking telnet to selected IPs?

Kyle Banerjee banerjek at ucs.orst.edu
Tue Jul 7 16:46:26 EDT 1998

> We may be forced to discontinue email access in the library but we'd like to
> retain telnet capability for access to other OPACs, etc. Is there a way
> to block telnet access to selected IP addresses in Netscape 3.x and
> 4.x?

	One easy (and low tech) way to do this is to edit the
c:\windows\hosts.sam file so that it contains invalid addresses for the
IP's you want to block. Then just save the file under the name "hosts"
Entries in this file override dns.

	For example, if you drop the following entries into your hosts
file, you won't be able to connect to the mainframe here at Oregon State
and attempts to telnet to internic will be redirected to our online
catalog.

0.0.0.0	ucs.orst.edu
128.193.4.22 rs.internic.net

	This solution is hardly bulletproof for a number of reasons, but
it should deter most casual users.

kyle