Web-site Development Tools

Carl Snow csnow at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 24 21:38:06 EDT 1998

I don't usually comment but I have just finished researching a number of web
development tools.  I wanted to find a product that would produce code that
could be used by Netscape and by I.E. and still be able to develop basic as
well as sophisticated pages.  Our choice was NetObjects Fusion 3.0.  It is a
WYSIWYG editor but it also comes with Homesite 3.0 a powerful tag editor.
This gives us the ability to edit HTML pages in both modes depending on the
user's level.  NetObjects Fusion 3.0 advertises that it will produce HTML
that is used by either MSIE or Netscape thus giving us the widest possible
audience.

At the same time we have chosen to purchase Cold Fusion as our "middle ware"
for putting databases on line.  One of the major reasons for our choice of
cold fusion was the need to be able to remain independent of any one
manufacturer.   At the same time we are looking at a plugin for NetObjects
Fusion that will simplify the development of web pages that interact with
databases.  Should the tool work well we believe that we will have a very
powerful tool for our users.

As for front page I have worked with it and found that it adds a lot of
unnecessary code and of course slants the output to MSIE.  It also
encourages the use of IIS another MS product.  Like most thing from MS each
product is designed to work very well with other MS products thus pulling an
organization into the MS orbit.  There may be times that MS has the best
product for a particular solution but at this time I personally do not feet
that Front Page is the best solution for our particular situation.

Carl Snow
Network Access Librarian
Purdue University Libraries
csnow at purdue.edu