Need some firewall wisdom.

Brian K. Snapp bsnapp at ccm.edu
Fri Jul 24 10:17:06 EDT 1998

Hi all,  I'm new to the list and have a few questions about implementing
a firewall on campus here.
I've been evaluating firewalls and have my eye on Ukiah Netroad 2.0,
Secure Computing firewall for NT and Watchguard Firebox 100.  They all
get good ratings from the industry rags and are reasonably priced (as
far as firewalls go).  Has anybody had experience with any of these,
specifically involving library services?
The major concern on campus is that the folks in the Library Resource
Center subscribe to 3rd party services like UMI, Silverplatter,
Information Access and some .GOV sites.  From what I understand a
subscriber will register a certain # of IP addresses with the service.
Only these users (IP's) are allowed to connect to the service and access
the database.
However, some firewalls use Network Address Translation (NAT) to hide
that IP address to the outside world.
Some also act as an application proxy.  Does anyone know how these two
scenarios effect 3rd party services and whether or not there are ways
around these problems should they exist?
Any comments welcome!
thanks for your time.
        Brian Snapp                 Phone (973)-328-5094
        LAN Technician              FAX   (973)-328-5068
        County College of Morris    bsnapp at ccm.edu
        214 Center Grove Rd.
        Randolph, NJ 07869