AlphaSearch - Searching the Net Intelligently

remelt at legacy.calvin.edu remelt at legacy.calvin.edu
Thu Jan 29 21:12:10 EST 1998

AlphaSearch is a new web library of subject-related gateway sites
designed for serious,  academic pursuit of Web information.

The url: http://www.calvin.edu/Lib_Resources/as/

Nearly all the sites in AlphaSearch are large, high-quality gateway
sites. We define a gateway site as a site that organizes a large
number of other sites all focused on an idea, subject or discipline.
Gateway sites have also been called "webliographies," "meta-indexes,"
and in the paper world "subject bibliographies." The assumption
behind AlphaSearch is simple --  if a high-quality, current gateway
site can be located, then nearly all the important web sites focusing
on that subject are probably contained in that site.

The AlphaSearch staff collects only the largest and finest gateway
sites and then supplies controlled descriptors, keywords, and
discipline and resource type keys to each record. A site must be
academically oriented, large, and actively maintained. There is an
easy to use search  engine that allows for exact searching and
browsing.

 AlphaSearch is a service of The Hekman Library, Calvin
College and Calvin Theological Seminary of Grand Rapids, Michigan. We
would appreciate any comments or suggestions. We would also invite
nomination of sites.
 Glenn Remelts                                        remelt at calvin.edu
 Automation Librarian                                (fax) 616-957-6470
 Calvin College & Seminary                                 616-957-6072

 "The day the word is resurrected can come next month or a hundred years
from now, a book will wait." Garrison Keilor in "We Are Still Married."