Beware the Internet Police..........a Utah example

David Vaughan dsvaughan at wentworth.region.library.on.ca
Thu Jan 29 14:22:19 EST 1998

I don't see the privacy breach here.  This is about an employer
exercising legitimate control over the activities of their employees.  I
expect that accessing a phone sex line from the employer's phone system
would also be an offense, as would sexually harassing a client or
co-worker.  The employer own the network, the PC, and has standards that
they expect their employees to adhere to when using them.  Any employees
who want to visit sex sites or send smutty email messages would be quite
free to do so on their home computer using their private Internet
provider.  If the employer tried to police what they do on their own
time on their computer, then there would be a case for privacy breach.
Termination may be overkill as a punishment, but I have no problem with
an employer trying to control how their facilities are used.

David

David S. Vaughan			Phone: 905-546-4126 x36
Wentworth Libraries			Fax: 905-522-9083
Hamilton, ON, Canada