Putting Databases on the Web

Karl Beiser beiser at saturn.caps.maine.edu
Tue Jan 27 16:12:56 EST 1998

We use Cold Fusion in conjunction with Visual FoxPro 5.0 for the
online Maine Library Directory ( http://msl1.ursus.maine.edu ) and
soon for some additional "utility" files including several that are
index-like in nature.  The product is powerful, flexible and seems to
be on a swift upward course in terms of rapidity of improvement.  Some
experience with HTML, databases and rudimentary programming constructs
is called for.

I did a piece on it for the Dec '97 issue of Database,
"Database-Driven Web Sites: Cold Fusion for Web Publishing"  p 48 (4).
 Unfortunately, the text is not available online.

By the way, CF comes in two versions.  The lower-cost, $495 version
works with Access, FoxPro and several other "desktop" databases, while
the $995 version will also work with Oracle, MS SQL Server and similar
higher-end packages.  When we bought, there was a library discount as
well.

Karl

Karl Beiser
Maine State Library