Filtering and the Web

CBailey512 CBailey512 at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 22:09:37 EST 1998

In a message dated 1/26/98 6:08:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu writes:

 OK, I'm just going to stick my little naive neck way out there and ask a
 few questions. Have we, the information experts and decision-makers of the
 world, decided that access to the internet is now a god-given right?

Interesting question! Its one that I thought about a good bit before voting
along with my fellow library trustees to provide the service to our community.
So far as I know, providing internet access is  not mandatory in Ohio.
However, the legislatures of other states may have legislated otherwise.

 Have we determined that it is a "standard library service" now along with
books
 and magazines and newspapers?

Don't forget AV materials :)

As a humble business person and library volunteer, my perception is that
providing internet access within a community library like ours is indeed a
standard library service now. We have lately brought up a community web site,
will soon be installing a web opac for patrons at home and are conducting
internet classes. Virtually all of the libraries in our corner of Ohio are
either providing the service or ramping up to provide it.

Does anyone out there filter newspapers,magazines, books, etc?

One of the important functions our fine library staff performs for our
community is to decide what materials to acquire, and also what materials
**not** to acquire.

 Is it "not OK" to say that the internet is an unreliable, unpredictable
source of information and let the user beware?

Wouldn't this standard apply to **ALL** the materials in our libraries?

 Is it "not OK" to just say NO and don't  provide the service if it's more
trouble than it's worth?

Who decides to "Just Say No" ? Now that we have made the service available in
our community, every single internet workstation is in continuous use through
the evening hours. There is much interest in the service in our community. As
a trustee for my community wouldn't I be doing my community a major disservice
if I didn't help provide this service.

Regards ... CD Bailey, Hubbard, OH