Thanks for the Help.. Oracle to MARC

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Sun Jan 25 22:23:18 EST 1998

Pawlowsky Bill wrote:

> Well with some assistance from list members I was able to find a
> utility at ftp.loc.gov/pub/marc/ called marcmkr.exe that converts a
> formated text file into a MARC record.
>
> I thought would be my salvation but the program bombs under NT. I have
> contacted the developers. Hoping to get an answer as to the
> possiblities of a Win95/NT version. I suspect that LC will be migrating
> in the the future to a more recent O/S. However, what I was really
> looking for was a UNIX version of the same utility. Who knows I might
> just have to brush up on my perl and write something (highly unlikely,
> as I can hack but not write from scratch!)

Bill,

Take a look at Handling MARC with PERL at
<http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue7/marc/#fn5>.

Or "MARC Record Translation Program" at
<http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~jlt/marc.html>.

For sure look at the DataMagician (TM) translation software home page at
<http://www.folland.com/>. DataMagician 1.5 is currently a DOS utility
(but real sick!), although the author is working on a Windows version.

One of these might be of interest or help.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D./Oregon State
Library/perez at opac.state.or.us/503-378-4243