Putting Databases on the Web

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Jan 26 11:06:40 EST 1998

My big mission this year is to make our local newspaper microfilm index
available via the WWW.  I currently use dbweb, a free unsupported
Microsoft product, to proved access to this 500,000 record Access
database.  Dbweb allows users to query the database and have the results
returned in HTML format.  However, because of some limitations I have been
unable to get around, I'm looking for something better.

Specifically, I need:

A product that will allow queries via an HTML page to an Access Database
and will return the results in HTML format.  This product should allow
various forms of queries and should allow for customization of both the
query and result pages.  Load on the server and speed are also important
considerations.  We currently run IIS 4.0 on a NT 4.0 166 MHz-128MB RAM
server.

Any recommendations for specific products, preferably from experience, and
sites which would provide further assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI