Prince William Approves Open Internet Access

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jan 23 13:13:52 EST 1998

Some encouraging news. If you are still fence-sitting on the
censorware/filtering issue and want to see some anti-filtering viewpoints,
check out:

Filtering and Censorware in Libraries
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/7382/index.html

Chuck

===============
Prince William Approves Open Internet Access
Library Board Rejects Plan to Filter Web Sites

By Eric L. Wee
Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, January 23, 1998; Page B06

Prince William residents soon will be able to cruise the Internet at their
public libraries without restrictions after the county's library board
approved unfettered access last night.

The 7 to 3 vote will allow both adults and children to explore any site
they choose at the county's 10 libraries. The board rejected a plan to
place filters on county computers to screen out sexually explicit sites,
but in a compromise move, they approved placing special computers that can
access only prescreened sites in children's areas. The library director
said the county could have the computers up and running within three
months.

The decision comes after months of debate within the county on how much
Internet access is appropriate in a public library. Some residents worried
that open access would expose young children to sexually graphic material,
while others said any type of filtering would make the computers
ineffective research tools.

Jurisdictions nationwide have been struggling with Internet policies. In
October, Loudoun County adopted one of the country's most restrictive
policies by not allowing their library Internet users access to sexually
explicit material.

"We have many, many patrons who want open access, and I haven't seen any
blocking software that's acceptable," said Joyce Phillips, the board's
chairman, who proposed the open access plan. "I just don't believe that
people are going to come in here looking for pornography."

Under the plan adopted last night, the board agreed to buy a software
called Library Channel that will give patrons access to about 20,000
preselected World Wide Web sites. But anyone using the computers in the
main areas of the libraries also will be able to move to the Web and
conduct a search themselves, accessing any site.

Children's areas will have computers with access only to sites determined
acceptable for children. But Phillips said minors will be able to leave
that area and use other computers with full Web access.

"Parents can tell kids not to use the other computers," Phillips said. "But
librarians are not going to run around and tell them where they can go."

Board member Dennis Daugherty criticized the decision, saying it will allow
children to see inappropriate sexual material.

"I think we've made a decision that will change the environment of the
library from a family-friendly place where you can bring your kids to soak
up knowledge to a place people are going to have to be cautious in,"
Daugherty said. "It was a decision we are going to regret."

Copyright 1998 The Washington Post Company