Sex & the Search Engine

Alis Whitt whitt at spinner.cofc.edu
Fri Jan 23 12:04:42 EST 1998

General search engines (such as HotBot, AltaVista) are becoming useless as
information retrieval tools. I'd like to see a few search engines develop
a "not" button which would eliminate all porn sites from the results list.
This isn't a freedom of speech / offensive content issue; I resent the
enormous waste of my time.

I tried the search you described below.  I can't even locate "superbowl"
in the HTML code of some of these sites.  The third "relevant" site in
AltaVista (free nude celebs)
does not have "superbowl" in the code -- anywhere. Up to now, I've at
least been able to provide users with a logical explanation for why they
get sex when they ask for superbowl (meta tags, white words on a white
background, etc.).  What's up here?

It it weren't for Argus, Northern Light, Point's top 5% and other sites
that make some effort towards providing quality, I'd probably go back to
Readers' Guide in print.

 Alis Whitt
 whitta at cofc.edu
 College of Charleston Library