Apache as Proxy question

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:19:49 EST 1998

I recently needed to setup a simple website block for our machines and
didn't need a full proxy server, when I happened to find a program called
"RoadBlock" by Sandhill Software [http://www.sandsol.com/]. The price is
$19.00 shareware and runs as a DNS pass-thru. You change the DNS server
entry in your TCP/IP setup to point to the IP address of the computer
running "RoadBlock" and it will block whatever sites as defined in a simple
text file -- works great.

It does not do what you want -- that is only allow access to certain sites.
But I asked the programmer about adding that functionality and he replied
that it would be no problem and expects to have an updated version out very
soon! If interested, e-mail the author directly for more information.

And in case your wondering, "RoadBlock" runs under Windows95 or WindowsNT.
However, it will act as a filter to any computer where you can change the
DNS server entry (Macs and Win95 machines in my case).

--Charles A. Summerhill
  LibraryLRC Network Guy