Netscape cache files

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:32:24 EST 1998

Colleen White writes:

>I would like to hear what other libraries are doing with their Netscape
>cache files. There is some feeling in our agency that cache needs to be
>emptied frequently and continually. We use Netscape 3 with Windows95 on
>Pentium 166 computers with 2G hard drives. We have protected our public
>access computers with Full Armor which precludes the public from
>accessing the cache files to see what's in them, but some people here
>feel that you have to empty cache to enhance performance. Is this an
>issue or not?

We delete the cache, history, and cookies files each time a user quits
Netscape (we then automagically restart Netscape).

>Is there a problem with setting both the memory cache and the disk cache
>to 0? Would you recommend it or not?

As others have mentioned, there is a real performance benefit to having a
cache. We have also experienced Strange Netscape Behavior when the caches
have been set to 0.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin