Fortres "3.0" ?

spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu
Mon Jan 19 21:45:53 EST 1998

I recently installed Fortres on a number of our public computers

Although the disk, the manual, and the box were all marked version 3.0,
the version number on the "about" screen was 2.51d.  I mentioned this
to Fortres tech support, and  they rushed another copy out to us.
Same thing with this one.  Since the odds of them mislabelling ALL their
disks seem pretty low, I'm wondering if they either a) didn't upgrade the
Windows 3.1 version when they upgraded the Win95 software, or b) they
simply  forgot to revise the 'about' screen.

I've had two problems: one is that when I specify a program group or two
as being limited to a particular user, the program *does* block them, but
does NOT prompt the user for a password.  This means  that the privileged
users need to enter Fortres and disable all protection to access items
in that group.  Additionally, one of the groups I tried to block access to,
the "Main" group in Win 3.11, would block access to File Manager, the
MS-DOS prompt, and Control Panel, but would not block access to the other
items in the group.  Although in this case, the other items were not the
ones we were particularly worried about, the fact that the blocking is not
working that well is a little disturbing.

I have one computer, configured identically to the others, same hardware,
same software, that will NOT load Fortres.  The Install program gets to
98% and then starts frantically accessing the hard disk and floppy by
turns. Takes forever, then basically hangs.   I've tried this one with
the network loaded, not loaded, using network windows, local windows,
logged in to network, not logged in to network.  Very frustrating.

The DOS vulnerability still bothers me.  What I have done on these machines
is to invoke the network loader in autoexec.bat, and then have the
machine log itself in to the appropriate account and invoke Windows.
We're using Novell, but it's a campus server - we don't have local
control.  There's a point after the network login where the user is
prompted to hit any key to continue - and it's clear to me that this
is where a hacker can easily break out of the program to DOS.  (I've
gotten  rid of the most dangerous DOS commands on these machines - format,
fdisk, deltree, edit, and attrib are GONE, but that's easily circumvented
by a clever vandal who plans ahead and brings their own DOS disk).

I'm looking for a DOS command or work-around to get by the "hit any key"
message.  Right now, the network startup batch file has the lines:

F:LOGIN XXXXXX
WIN

(where XXXXXX is the name of a network account that needs no password
and has limited privileges).   The "hit any key" message comes after the
login and before Windows starts up.  When a key is pressed, the program
does go on to load windows.  Anyone know a DOS command I can use there
to satisfy  the "any key" requirement or bypass it?

 Stacy Pober			   Internet: spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu
 Information Alchemist		   http://www.manhattan.edu/library/mclmenu.html
 Manhattan College Libraries	   Phone: 718-862-7980
 Riverdale, NY 10471	     	   Fax: 718-862-7995