[RETURN] submits form?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jan 19 09:21:32 EST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernest Perez <perez at opac.osl.state.or.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Friday, January 16, 1998 8:56 PM
Subject: [RETURN] submits form?

>> Is there a method to have the cursor automatically appear in a form box
when a page is loaded?
>> I would like to modify the search pages on our catalog (DRA Web) to
minimize user 'mousing'.

>This was a recent question that got some good, quick, answers.  :-)
>
>I'm wondering about another of those behaviors/configs I've SEEN but
>haven't the foggiest about how to do it.  Seem like some Forms will do
>the SUBMIT action when you either click the button or if you press
>[RETURN].  Others won't transmit, until you click SUBMIT.

Netscape's behavior (all versions that I can remember) is: if there is only
one text box--<INPUT>'s of types text or password, and <TEXTAREA>'s--the
Enter key submits the form.

MSIE4's behavior is: if there is only one submit button--<INPUT>'s of type
submit or image--the Enter key submits the form.

Opera and (as I recall) earlier versions of MSIE mimic Netscape's behavior.

>How do you do this? Seems to me that it's not tied to the browser, since
>I can do it on some sites, and not on others.  I'd appreciate collective
>wisdom on this....

Dunno that it counts as wisdom.  But it does have to do with the interaction
between the contents of the form and the browser.  Barring some JavaScript
trick I don't know or HTML 4's hotkeys, there isn't much you can do about it
aside from revising your forms to have one text input and one submit button.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu