Follow up to Research Guidance...

David Novak director at cn.net.au
Thu Jan 15 22:01:49 EST 1998

It appears I have ruffled some feathers here with the use of "lame". Excuse me.

What I wanted to discuss was research guidance.

Few libraries websites link to the free commercial-quality databases on the
Net: USPTO, LOCIS, Medline, AGIP, MOCAT, and others. Few Libraries have
links to the primary resources for various Internet formats like zines, faqs
& mailing lists. Few libraries link to the United Nations, Country profiles
online, national statistical agencies...

This is what I mean by research guidance.

I personally don't expect each individual library to organize the Internet
for me. I already know the large library consortiums are working on this
issue and in 6months to a year will come out with a solution for library
websites. BUBL is one example of an effort already online. What is perhaps
missing is an understanding of just how beautiful it could be (and some day
will be). As research tools online strengthen, certain definitive resources
are emerging which will help you find things online and off.

The strongest words come from Wilfred Drew: "I don't understand the point of
your site."
Mr Drew created one of the definitive starting places for agriculture
research online: a guidebook called  "Not Just Cows". This guide belongs on
the websites of most agricultural libraries in the world.

Now, are there links which belong on other library websites? Links to
commercial quality databases? Links to national statistical agencies? Some
libraries will decide, yes - and from this comes the difficulty of creating
and maintaining a large list of links to resources useful to their patrons.
Others decide, no. A link to three or four search engines appears to be the
norm where I live.

Of course libraries publish their own card catalogue - and are responsible
for many of the best tools for effective research online... This is not the
same thing as providing research guidance from their website.

Most libraries will wait till CARL or UMI come out with a commercial product
to guide patrons through research online. Is there room for someone like
myself to come in early, and under, to start the market?

David Novak
david at cn.net.au                                 The cn.net.au
http://cn.net.au                                Research Site