Research Guidance for Library to host - Useful?

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:01:26 EST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Michael Sauers wrote:

> >For my part, I should think libraries would be happy for the assistance.
> >Library patrons may expect assistance, but it is not the role of each
> >library to organize the Internet. Most library websites are rather lame
>
> Bad place to make this statement.  I'd suggest you surf on over to my WWW
> Library Directory <http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir> and check out all
> those "lame" library sites (over 1500 of them!)

Interesting. Is this meant to be a "competitor" to LibWeb
<http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/Libweb/> (as far as free services can
"compete" anyway)?

Byron
 (Now there's a topic for discussion: *Can* "free" services effectively
compete on the web? In pay-per-use, the one who attracts the fewer
customers gets less money and consequently must either improve its
attraction rate, cut-back its expectations, or shut down. How does this
play out when "competing" services are "free"?)

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113