Viewing style sheet source code?

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 12:32:03 EST 1998

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Bob Duncan wrote:
> I've always found the ability to view the source code of HTML documents a
> great learning and teaching tool. As I tackle style sheets, it would be
> nice if there was a way to view the external (linked) style sheets used on
> Web pages. One can check the HTML source for the filename of the style
> sheet, then pop the URL for the file into the location box, but all that
> appears is the current Web page, not a style sheet file. I tried creating a
> new file type in the applications preference dialog, with Notepad as the
> handler app, but no change in behavior resulted.
>
> Using NC4.01 on Win95. IE3 does seem to allow what I'm looking for, but
> also ignores a fair number of common style sheet declarations, so it's not
> real useful for this purpose (plus it's not the default browser in these
> parts).

CSS1 style sheet code can either be embedded directly into the HTML
document (so that view source in most browsers will should it - it's
usually near the top of most pages by convention, often protected by SGML
comments) or they can be linked using <LINK REL="StyleSheet"> contruct.
If the latter is in use, you should see what looks like either a filename
or URL (absolute or relative) that.  Select this, cut it to the clipboard
and then paste it into the open dialog and save to disc.  Then open it
with your favourite text editor.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll