Altavista vs. Altavista

SHERYL DWINELL dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Jan 9 16:04:09 EST 1998

This is really interesting because I've always used
www.altavista.digital.com as the address to go to Alta Vista the search
engine. As far as I know, that has always been their address since
altavista.com was already taken. The difference between them is that the
Alta Vista search engine was designed and is operated by the folks at
Digital Corp. Alta Vista Technology (www.altavista.com) is not affiliated
with Digital Corp., hence the disclaimer at the bottom of their opening
screen. I don't know who Alta Vista Technology is, but I can understand
why they have the disclaimer at the bottom of their page. They probably
get lots of hits from folks looking for the 'real' Alta Vista.

While the opening screens look quite different, I can see how someone
could get confused since there is a search box at altavista.com that
uses the 'real' Alta Vista's search engine to search the Web. Maybe
someone else has some more information about this.

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Webmaster
Marquette University Libraries
Milwaukee, WI