AltaVista: Translations

John Walker jwalker at networx.on.ca
Wed Feb 4 12:58:57 EST 1998

At 11:58 AM 3/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Try AltaVista Digital's translation service. (Link listed below)
>I haven't tried English to Spanish but I have done the reverse.  It
>certainly is just a
>machine doing the translation and you can only paste in a couple of
>paragraphs at a
>time but it's free and easily available to anyone on the net.
>
>http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/
>
>Hope this helps,

That is the service I use. The point I was attempting to make is that
you can automate the process. One click while the person is visiting
your page and the translator is loaded with your URL already in place.
>From there it's a simple matter for the person to choose which language
and then hit the ' translate ' button. Your page is then shown in the
language of their choice.

You can try it at:

http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker

also I have put up a new search engine at

http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker/search.htm

NO MORE "ADDRESS NOT FOUND" ERRORS

If you're looking for a quick and easy way to search domain names, check
out WebSitez. This service searches domain names and ONLY domain names,
which can come in very handy when you only know part of a site's Web address.

Now a little more about the translator.

I have had this up for about a month on the majority of the 52 pages at my
site.
You will find that links are NOT active while on the translated page.

The comments on translations I have received from users range from
excellent to
hilarious.

My site serves the entire global village and therefore I feel that a poor
translation is better than no translation at all.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                        _/
_/        John S. Walker                                  _/
_/        Publisher, CSS Internet News (tm)               _/
_/        (Internet Training and Research)                _/
_/        PO Box 57247, Jackson Stn.,                     _/
_/        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 4X1              _/
_/  Email jwalker at networx.on.ca                           _/
_/        http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker               _/
_/        "To Teach is to touch a life forever"           _/
_/         On the Web one touch can reach so far!         _/