Thanks for T1 definitions!

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Feb 26 11:13:48 EST 1998

I received several answers rapidly; the two that sounded like quality info
came from respected sources--a free online dictionary from O'Reilly,
courtesy of Bob Sullivan:

http://www.ora.com/reference/dictionary

Which he links to from his library's website, and a book, which Tom Dowling
cited.  The definitions aren't the same, but they are both plausible.  ;-)
 I'm going with this one, because it's succinct (and rings a bell, for
those of us who remember sTranGe cAsiNg of computer nomenclature as a fad):

>From the ISDN Literacy Book, p.55

"Starting in the early 1960's, T1 carrier systems were installed between
central offices of local telephone networks, particularly in short-haul
systems (that is, systems spanning a distance of less than about 50 miles).
These carrier systems were the first digital systems to be deployed, hence

The ISDN Literacy Book, by Gerald Hopkins.  Addison-Wesley, 1995.
0-201-62979-8

Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com
Councilor-at-Large, American Library Association
Internet Filter Assessment Project: http://www.bluehighways.com/tifap/
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters *** Now Available! ***
Neal Schuman, 1997 ISBN 1-55570-322-4 http://www.neal-schuman.com
Information is hard work