policies

Per Funke per.funke at hoe.se
Mon Feb 23 13:13:02 EST 1998

Referring to the problem outlined below (in WindowsNT environment mind
you)....
If you want the users to run only one application, set it as a shell,
delete the rights
to read and execute c:\winnt\system32\taskmgr.exe for Everyone so they
can't
press Ctrl-Alt-Del and start new processes via the Taskmanager.
To fix this I would recommend you to
put the attached Own.adm (text follows below  this message, enter in a
.txt-file
with Notepad and change the name to Own.adm)
file in the c:\winnt\inf-directory.
Start the Policy Editor but do not open any policyfiles.
Click Options, Templates and then add Own.adm.
Stop and restart the policy editor. In all "Machine"-icons you will
now have the choice to check Autologin and to give the login-parameters,

all under the "Own Additions" key.
(Dont't forget to check the Network,System policies update,Remote policy
also,
otherwise policies won't work at all...)
You will also be able to enter a shell (eg "c:\program
files\netscape\communicator\program\netscape.exe " ) .
Save this file in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts\NTConfig.pol.
When the station is powered up, manually log in and out. The next time
the station is powered up
it logs in on the network automatically  and then starts
Netscape. There is just one snag, if the user succeeds in
halting Netscape they will be left with a green screen and no buttons or

help at all. To stop this from happening we have made small program that

starts the application and remembers the window title. As soon as that
window
is closed (=Netscape or whatever is stopped by mistake) the program
restarts
the application in a matter of seconds.
Then the line entered to start a shell is changed to:
"c:\util\st5.exe c:\program
files\netscape\communicator\program\netscape.exe c:\util"
where st5.exe is our little program and the "c:\util" at the other end
is the working dir.
If anyone needs this utility I think we can give it away. (The person
holding the
rights is not here this minute, I'll have to ask him first..)

There is already a choice to enter a shell-application in the
policyeditor's User-icon
but in this way nobody can log on to this machine and find anything else
but Netscape
because it is depending on the machine, not the user, if you follow the
above instructions.

By the way, the one application that is allowed to run can very well be
an menu
written i Visual Basic enabling the user to do other well-defined
things.
We use this approach in our library.

OK so here is the textfile OWN.ADM:

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY  !!Own
 POLICY !!AutoLogon
 KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
  VALUENAME AutoAdminLogon
  VALUEON "1" VALUEOFF "0"
  PART !!AutoL1     TEXT END PART
  PART !!AutoL2     TEXT END PART
  PART !!AutoL3     TEXT END PART
                PART !!DefaultDomain
EDITTEXT
                VALUENAME "DefaultDomainName"
  END PART
                PART !!DefaultUsr
EDITTEXT
                VALUENAME "DefaultUserName"
  END PART
                PART !!DefaultPwd
EDITTEXT
                VALUENAME "DefaultPassword"
  END PART
 END POLICY

 POLICY !!ShellName
 KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
                PART !!ShellNameN
EDITTEXT
                VALUENAME "Shell"
  END PART
 END POLICY

 POLICY !!CdromA
 KEYNAME "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom"
  VALUENAME Autorun
  VALUEON NUMERIC 1 VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
  PART !!CDRA     TEXT END PART
 END POLICY

END CATEGORY

CLASS USER

[strings]
CdromA="Auto start CDROM"
CDRA="If set this key will make the cd autoload prgms ie as on the win95
cd"
Own="Own Additions"
AutoLogon="Auto Login"
AutoL1="Without prompting for user, or domain the user will"
AutoL2="be logged on to the system automatically"
AutoL3="if set."
DefaultDomain="domain  "
DefaultUsr="account "
DefaultPwd="password"
ShellName="Current Shell"
ShellNameN="Write wanted shell (ie Explorer.EXE.)"
ShellT1="With this flag you can change the shell which"
ShellT2="the user will be put in."
Shares="Sharing"
ShareList="Share Drive C:\ to admins"
SDriveName="c"

End of OWN.ADM (this line should not be entered into  OWN.ADM)

Happy hacking...
rgds pf

        RE: Network monitoring software -Reply