"link:" searches

Steve Harter harter at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:15:40 EST 1998

Dear colleagues:  I'm trying to find the "best" search engine to do
"link:"  searches -- to retrieve the Web pages that link to a given URL.
I know that Alta Vista, Hotbot, and Infoseek all do "link:"  searches.
Does anyone know if there are others?

As an aside, the strange results noted by others for Alta Vista in recent
posts also exist for Alta Vista "link:" searches, which is one reason I'm
evaluating other engines as well.  Also, the three mentioned engines
retrieve significantly different pages, with Infoseek retrieving far fewer
than the other two.

Thanks in advance for any comments.  If there are responses, I'll  post
them to the list.

   Steve
    ~~~

      Stephen P. Harter,  School of Library and Information Science
      Indiana University                      Voice: (812) 855-5113
      Bloomington, IN 47405                     Fax: (812) 855-6166
                           <harter at indiana.edu>