Library Support for Distance Learning

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Feb 18 16:43:54 EST 1998

I'm doing some background research in library support for distance
learning, on-campus asynchronous learning, and multi-institutional
centers (i.e., centers that offer courses from a number of colleges
or universities).

I've done a fair amount of research already, but I am very interested
in getting recommendations for journal articles, Web resources, etc.,
dealing with the following:

  1. Information resources and distance education:

      a. Providing online resources.
      b. Interlibrary loan services for distance learners.
      c. Course packs.
      d. Online reserves.

  2. Library services and distance education:

      a. Electronic reference services. I've started a Web page on
          electronic reference services, but I'd like to add more to it,
          especially in the area of distance education. See the following
          to get an idea of what I've done so far:

          http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/~sloan/e-reference.html

      b. Online bibliographic/library instruction.

  3. Policies. While I am interested in library policies regarding support
      for distance learning, I am more interested in general institutional
      policies, higher education agency policies/programs, etc., to see
      how they treat library support for distance learning.

  4. Library initiatives. If you know of good library-based Web sites in
      support of distance education, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895