strange results behavior

prestam at okway.okstate.edu prestam at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Feb 18 16:04:42 EST 1998

     On three occasions over the last four days I have done the following
     searches in Altavista (both basic & advanced search modes):

     link:http://www.library.okstate.edu/dept/sed/prestamo

     I get a large number of hits (but a different number each time), and even
     stranger, when I browse through the results the # of hits changes.  For
     example:

        Results:  180   then I click on page 2
        Results:  180   then I click on page 3
        Results:  172   then I click on page 4
        Results:  218   then I click on page 5
        Results:   70   then I click on page 6
        Results:   64

     I've tried other URLs and similar things happen.

     Any ideas what's going on?

     Anne Prestamo, Reference Librarian ||Phone:              (405)744-6309
     Science & Engineering Division     ||http://www.library.okstate.edu/
     Edmon Low Library                  ||    dept/sed/prestamo/anne1.htm
     Oklahoma State University          ||E-mail: prestam at okway.okstate.edu
     "I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
     something else."
      --Lily Tomlin