Implementing Employee Email

P or K Bary bary at qadas.com
Tue Feb 17 19:20:31 EST 1998

My public library district has committed to providing email access to all
employees, and possibly to interested board members, Friends, and
volunteers.  I am looking at installing a mail server to handle district
email to enable us to administer logons and reset passwords locally.  We
also want to archive email messages.  If you do this at your location,
would you answer the following questions, and add any information you think
would be helpful?  Specifically, I need to know:

1.  For what length of time do you keep email stored?
2.  Do you back email up on separate media - as opposed to storing it on
the same tapes as your other server backups?
3.  What procedures do you use for backup and storage to provide easy
access in the future?

Your words of wisdom on storing email records, as well as general info on
mail servers is most welcome!

Karen Bary
Microcomputer Coordinator
Arapahoe Library District