Please help us with printing description

Walter Minkel wmink at teleport.com
Tue Feb 17 00:51:28 EST 1998

Folks-- I am one of two authors who are trying to complete a book for ALA
Editions on Web Reference Services with Young People. In one of the
chapters, we deal with "practical considerations," one of which is
printing. Can anyone out there help us come up with all the variations on
the following common problems on Windows Navigator 3.0x & 4.0x, IE 3.0x &
4.0x, Mac Navigator 3.0x & 4.0x & Mac IE 3.0x & 4.0x? They seem to handle
these things differently, & we don't have all these varieties handy to
test.

1) Navigator has "Print Preview" in Windows (but not always, it appears,
in the Mac version), & IE has "Print Selection," if you want only a chunk
of a long, long document. But this doesn't seem to be the case in all
versions. When do these features work & when not?

2) When are you allowed to print page backgrounds & when not? When can you
turn white or yellow text on a dark background to black on white & when
not? These "preferences" don't seem to work all the time on both
platforms, both versions.

If anyone can help us tell when users in libraries can expect these
features on their library webstations, we will be in your debt & we'll
definitely acknowledge you. Please respond to me privately. Thanks! --W

wmink at teleport.COM  Walter Minkel * Web librarian * Writer * Portland, OR
We sleep on no peels; ew! --Palindrome of the Month