CGI services?

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 12 22:16:04 EST 1998

--On Fri, Feb 6, 1998 1:36 PM -0800 "Jenne Heise, Idea Hamster"
<jahb at Lehigh.EDU> wrote:

> What are university web services doing (if anything) to support CGI
scripting
> by users?

Our group also happens to run the campus web server (http://www.cwru.edu/),
and we got this request from many of our campus information maintainers.  We
do not allow users to put CGI scripts in the server's cgi directory, but
have provided an environment for them to write their own CGI scripts in
Perl.  This environment is set up so the user can't do anything dangerous to
themselves or the web server in general.  Documentation for the system can
be found at:

  http://www.cwru.edu/help/AuroraCGI/AuroraCGI-docs.html

This is an adaptation of Malcolm Beattie's Safe CGI Perl program:

  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mbeattie/perl.html

Peter
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888