NT Web Server using WebSite problem

Glenn Johnson-Grau gjohnson at popmail.lmu.edu
Wed Feb 11 20:01:29 EST 1998

We are trying to set up a NT web server using O'Reilly's WebSite, but are
experiencing a frustrating problem (compounded by the fact that I'm new to
NT). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can install NT okay, creating a computer name and a domain name at the
appropriate points and making the machine a Primary Domain Controller.
After NT is installed, WebSite installs just fine. Then the problem starts.
WebSite serves to the browser running on that machine (the server). And it
serves to users off our campus network, which I think means that the campus
DNS server is correctly routing outside requests to the server IP address
(http://157.242.64.225 or http://library.lmu.edu). But to other machines on
our campus network, the server does not respond. I have tried renaming the
(NT) domain and renaming the computer by changing the Identification tab in
the Network utility. It tells me the changes have been made, but it still
doesn't work for other on-campus computers.

I can go into more gory details, but that is the basic situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Glenn

Glenn Johnson-Grau
Networked Resources/Reference Librarian