parental permission for juvenile use of Internet

Lee, Hovey H.Lee at BrooklynPublicLibrary.org
Wed Feb 11 10:48:15 EST 1998

Hi,
If your public library requires parental permission for juvenile use of
Internet, we'd like to hear from you. We are thinking of having the
parents sign a letter prior to their kids use of the Internet
(unfiltered) and take the responsibility of monitoring the use. We are
also considering adopting the juvenile library card policy towards
Internet use. We issue juvenile cards to patrons under 13.
Parent/Guardian signature on the Juvenile Library Card Application form
is required. Parent/Guardian signature may elect to limit their child's
access to Juvenile library materials only.
Our question is whether seeking parental permission would actually help
to alleviate the burden on our library staff and make the parents more
aware of their children's use of Internet in the library. At present, we
are hoping not to use any filtering programs to limit access.

Thank you,

Hovey Lee
Web Editor
Brooklyn Public Library