Quitting Database & returning home

Bill Trefzger billt at nist.gov
Mon Feb 9 16:49:09 EST 1998

Sheryl,
At our library, we use a frameset with a narrow left-hand frame/menu, which
stays put even when connecting to remote services. Takes care of the
problem you mention. It's particularly helpful for the public access PC's
in the library, which may be left at any page by patrons.

Of course, frames are a somewhat religious issue. We included an option to
turn them off permanently, which keeps everyone happy.

Bill

At 10:24 AM 2/9/98 -0800, Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
>We provide access to several databases on the Web. The databases available
>from OVID & FirstSearch offer a nifty feature which takes the user back to
>our databases page once they disconnect from either service. However, we
>have other databases that either don't have a disconnect feature, or upon
>disconnect don't take the user anywhere. In the case of one database, once
>you disconnect you can't even use the back button to get back to our site,
>but instead have to use the history list.
>
>I'm wondering what others of you do about the databases that upon
>disconnect don't take the user back to your site. Do you consider it a
>problem? Minor hassle? Any complaints from users? Complaints from reference
>staff? Have you taken any creative steps to address the situation?
>
>Thanks much,
>
>Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
>Memorial Library * Marquette University
>P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
>414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu

              Bill Trefzger
NIST Electronic Information  phone:(301)975-2146
     & Publications Program  fax:(301)869-8071
        Bldg 101, Room E106  mailto:billt at nist.gov
     Gaithersburg, MD 20899  http://nvl.nist.gov/